I was eager to upgrade my MacBook Air from Mavericks to Yosemite to give the Handoff feature a try. I downloaded the update and installed it.
And Handoff refused to work.
I checked all the settings. I searched the forums. I maddeningly checked the settings and forums again again. Everything was right, but nothing worked. At least not consistently.
Until I turned off Handoff in my iPhone and turned it back on. Bingo! It all came to life.
I also rebooted the iPhone (see how to do that the right way) and the MacBook. I even waited a while to test it again. No hiccups. Everything continued to work fine.
Here are the main steps:
- On iPhone, go to Settings > General > Handoff & Suggested Apps.
- Ensure Handoff is toggled on (this is the setting I turned off and back on to get everything working right).
- Make sure your iPhone Bluetooth is on under Settings > Bluetooth.
- On the Mac, go to Settings > General, then scroll down a bit and ensure that “Allow Handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices” is checked.
- To be safe, reboot your Mac and iPhone (do this the right way).
I hope this helps someone else suffering the same frustration.