While most of the ringtones and alert sounds in iOS are pleasant (Owl City is rumored to have developed several of them), you might find some utility by having specific sounds for specific contacts.
Thankfully, the process is pretty simple.
First, get to your contacts. There are two ways to do this. You can open the Phone app and then tap Contacts in the navigation bar at the bottom. Or you can just find and tap into your Contacts app.
You’re ready to customize the sounds.
- Find the contact to which you’d like to assign a specific ringtone or alert sound, then tap that entry in the list.
- In the upper left, tap Edit.
- Scroll to find the settings for Ringtone and Text Tone. Chances are it says “Default”.
- Tap “Default” for either Ringtone or Text Tone. This will open the tone selection screen. Note that the Default tone name appears followed by the other available tones.
- Choose the sound you wish to assign to the contact. Tapping individual tone names from the list will place the checkmark next to the name and play the tone. Tapping a bunch of these in succession will probably draw the attention and ire of those around you, so be considerate.
- Tap Done when you’re happy with your choice.